About Us

Consumer Affairs Victoria is Victoria's consumer regulator.

  • we provide information to business, consumers, landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities
  • we register and license organisations and occupations
  • we ensure compliance with consumer laws, and
  • we review and advise government about Victoria's consumer protection framework.

Our vision is for a fair and competitive Victorian marketplace.

Our values include acting with integrity, serving the community and respecting other people.

The outcomes we are working to achieve for the Victorian community are:

  • businesses that comply with consumer laws
  • Victorians who exercise their consumer rights
  • a fair and safe rental market for Victorians.

Our regulatory priorities include:

  • improving property managers’ knowledge of their obligations under residential tenancy laws 
  • increasing the effectiveness of regulatory frameworks in the retirement living sector
  • safeguarding trust money held by estate agents
  • protecting consumers from false and misleading claims about solar batteries, energy and health and wellbeing treatments 
  • raising community awareness of scams and finding new ways to disrupt scammers 
  • prioritising complaints about unfair contract terms for childcare services
  • making it easier for charities and the not-for-profit sector to meet their reporting obligations.

We are also committed to achieving regulatory excellence in the way we work, through seven key initiatives:

  • continuing to embed a risk-based, evidence-based and outcomes-focused approach across our regulatory functions
  • planning for the move of our call centre to the Ballarat GovHub in 2020
  • developing phase two of our partnership strategy
  • developing our people through a workforce capability strategy
  • embedding a culture of innovation and experimentation
  • continued delivery of our information and communication technology (ICT) roadmap
  • improving our processes and tools to listen to the needs of the Victorian community. 
What We Do

We provide information and advice in the following areas:

We offer further information in these sections:

Forms and publications

We publish a range of forms, guides, research reports and policies. To find these, view our Forms and publications page.

Are there different types of rental agreements?
Yes. It is important you know what type of rental arrangement you are in, as this determines your legal rights and responsibilities. For more information, visit our website, www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing-and-accommodation/renting/types-of-rental-agreements
What is my cooling-off period for my new car?
If you have just purchased a new car & decide you no longer want to purchase it, you have 3 business days (excluding weekends & public holidays) after the date you signed the contract to advise the licensed motor car trader of your decision. However, if you choose to accept the delivery of the car during the 3 day period, you will automatically lose your cooling off period right. For more information visit our website, www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cars/buying-a-new-car/cooling-off-period
I'm planning to buy a house, what do I need to know?
When planning to purchase a property, there are a few things you need to know & understand before making your purchased. A few things to consider: make sure you know what you want & can afford, always have a budget before you buy, carefully assess your financial situation & speak with a financial advisor & consider all the cost of buying a property. For more information, visit our website www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing/buying-and-selling-property
Do I need to use an agent to sell my property?
No, you don't need to use an estate agent or agent's representative to sell your property.. There are a few things to consider, decide the sale price or range, arrange advertising for your property, obtain a deposit once an agreed value has been decided & providing the contract of sale with the Section 32 statement attached & arrange for it to be signed. View our website, www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing/buying-and-selling-property/selling-property, for more information.
What is owners corporation?
Formerly known as body corporate, an owners corporation manages the common property of a residential, commercial, retail, industrial or mixed-use property development. Visit our website, www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing/owners-corporations/buying-into-an-owners-corporation/what-is-an-owners-corporation, for more information.
At A Glance
Victoria’s consumer regulator.
Help Victorians be responsible & informed.
Help Victorians exercise their consumer rights.
Be a sustainable & innovative regulator.
We educate & advise all Victorians.